Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Leftover Quinoa

So what do you do with leftover quinoa?  Whenever I do cook a batch of quinoa, I always cook a little extra to keep in the fridge for the week.  I love opening the fridge to see a tupperware of leftover quinoa that I can transform into a lunch or a breakfast with the wave of my wand.

So this week I got a little creative and tried something new with my leftover red quinoa.  My first experiment was lunch.  I'll call it "Sauteed Veggie Quinoa with Egg and Tomato Basil Salsa".  I know its rather long, makes me feel like I'm on Chopped or Top Chef.  Of course you can take my creation and change out the vegetables to create your own taste sensation.


Sauteed Veggie Quinoa with Egg and Tomato Basil Salsa
  • 1 bulb fennel, chopped
  • 1 handful of ripped beet greens (or use a green of your choice)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Handful of fresh basil ripped (why chop with a knife when you have hands that can tear?)
  • 1 cup leftover quinoa
  • Several spoonfuls of tomato basil salsa (see recipe below)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp butter
  • Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  1. Heat olive oil in a pan.  Add fennel and beet greens, sauteeing until tender.  Add garlic and fresh basil right before greens and fennel are done cooking.  Season with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder.  Place veggies on plate.
  2. Add leftover quinoa and some water to your pan to get quinoa warmed up.  Let quinoa heat up while water evaporates making sure to stir so the quinoa doesn't stick.  Add the quinoa to your veggies.
  3. Now add the butter to your pan and once melted fry your egg however you like.  Add to the veggies and quinoa.
  4. Spoon some tomato basil salsa on top and enjoy!!
 Tomato Basil Salsa ~ chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, chopped garlic, chopped red onions, salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar.  I don't measure anything on this one.  Just fill a bowl with your tomatoes, however much basil you like, as much garlic and onions as you like, season with salt and pepper to taste, olive oil is about 1 -2 tbsp but you can add more if you like, and vinegar is about 2-3 tsps.  Taste as you go and keep adding until you are happy!


A little lunch love

So that was my lunch.  This morning when I got up to make breakfast for the girls before school, my mind started humming again when I saw the last of the leftover quinoa and an apple in the fruit bowl.  Hmmmm, how about quinoa porridge with sauteed apples!


Quinoa Porridge with Sauteed Apples
  • 1 apple, cored sliced and cut in half (any kind of apple you like is fine)
  • Leftover quinoa
  • 1 tbsp and 1 tsp butter
  • Walnuts, chopped or crushed
  • Sea salt
  • Cinnamon
  • Maple syrup or Agave Nectar
  1. Heat a pan with the 1 tbsp butter, when hot add the chopped apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and let cook until soft (think apple pie filling)
  2. In a pot, place leftover quinoa with some water to warm up the quinoa.  Add the 1 tsp of butter and a sprinkle of sea salt and a dash of cinnamon.  (feeling creative? try other spices too ~ ginger, cloves nutmeg)
  3. Place quinoa in bowls and top with sauteed apples and walnuts
  4. For a little sweetness, drizzle with maple syrup or agave nectar

A Little Bowl of Delight

The easiest way to think of quinoa is to think of rice.  However you would use rice, replace with quinoa.  This gives you some variety in your diet and more nutrition.  The possiblities are endless with quinoa! 

You don't have to be a chef to create delicious meals.  With determination and a willingness to be adventurous you too can be a Kitchen Witch.



Want another quinoa recipe?  Check out my Kitchen Witch Coaching Facebook page. 
  • Just click on my Facebook Badge to the left of this blog
In the Notes section there is a delicious recipe for Quinoa Muffins!  Join me and all my fans as we celebrate food, nutrition, health and wellness.

2 comments:

  1. These all look delicious Kristi! The porridge with apples if perfect for right now! I'm going to try this. I love the background for your blog - love Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I LOVE Fall too! I'll be going to a place here called Apple Hill in October to pick fresh apples from the tree. More apple recipes! Yay!

    ReplyDelete