Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wheat Free Gluten Free LOVE

I'm pretty sure I have an intolerance to wheat and gluten.  For years I've been trying to get rid of that awful "belly bloat" that makes me sometimes look like I'm 5 months pregnant, the painful cramps in my lower abdomen that make me lie on the floor in the fetal position, the dark circles under my eyes as if I forgot to take off my Maybelline and the continual stuffy "feel-like-I-need-to-blow-my-nose-but-nothing-comes-out-feeling." 

For several years I managed a food coop and in that role I discovered a whole new world of foods, including wheat-free and gluten-free products.  Off and on I made attempts at eliminating wheat/gluten foods from my diet, but my attempts were weak at best and the loaf of rice bread made a better door stop than a tasty sandwich.

Since enrolling at Integrative Nutrition this past summer, I made a serious committment to myself that once and for all I would solve the mystery of my ailments.  Though I have done a MUCH better job than I have ever done before in eliminating wheat and gluten, they still creep in.  But luckily being the scientist that I am, I take well to journaling and documenting my progress.  And so far, the results are definitely showing an intolerance.  Not an allergy, but an intolerance.  An intolerance that rips my intestines apart and leaves me achey and raw!  I even researched IBS and Celiac.  Thank the heavens I am not Celiac!  Though I do have great sympathy to those who are. 

So a little trip to the health food store, well not so little as I have to drive 50 minutes to get there, was like going to heaven!  So many new wheat/gluten free products on the shelves since those days of when I managed the coop.  I couldn't believe it!  And neither could my wallet!  Since then I've found breadcrumbs, pie crust, brownie mix, english muffins, bagels, and much more that I have yet to try.  But my one staple that I absolutely love is Pamela's Pancake & Baking Mix.  I use it for everything.  I actually buy it by the case at Amazon! 

Here is a little wheat-free gluten-free love for you and a bread machine recipe using this mix.  I told you I use it for everything!



Bread Machine Recipe
3/4 cup very warm water
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon honey or white sugar
3 cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
2 pkg instant yeast (4-1/2 teaspoons)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all liquid ingredients into bread machine, then add dry ingredients. Turn on machine using white bread setting. This recipe makes a 1-1/2 pound loaf. Use a serrated knife to cut slices or freeze loaf first and then slice.

Try adding sesame seeds, poppy seeds or sunflower seeds to dough while mixing, or add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. 
This bread makes fantastic grilled sandwiches, cinnamon toast, and french toast.

Bon apettit!

No comments:

Post a Comment