Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup (for minimal cooking nights)

Sometimes even I, the Kitchen Witch, doesn't feel like cooking.  There are those rare days when I just want someone else to serve me some delicious food that I didn't make.  Sometimes I dream of fabulous food just magically appearing on my plate without my having to lift a finger.  And of course the dishes wash themselves!

Though I avoid processed pre-made food like the plague, every once in awhile I allow myself a little convenience.  But even then I'm careful with what I buy.  On a recent trip to one of my favorite stores, Trader Joe's, I was feeling a little cranky and not at all wanting to be in the kitchen.  A box of Butternut Squash Soup caught my eye, so I'd thought I'd give it a try.  But of course even when I'm cranky, I can't help mixing things up a bit!

Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Soup

A bowl of plain soup with no texture sounded a little blah, I wanted some heartiness, so I gave my Butternut Squash Soup a little umph! 

Here's my version of Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Soup:

  • Half a box of Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Soup
  • 2 slices of good quality bacon, fried and crumbled
  • 1 small yam, diced into small chunks
  • 1 small bunch of cilantro
  • Tbsp butter
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Place diced yam into a skillet on medium heat and sautee in butter until yam is soft.  Season with salt, pepper and some cinnamon
  2. Fry bacon, drain on paper towel, then crumble
  3. Warm up soup in a pot
  4. Chop cilantro
Pour soup into bowl, add cooked yams, sprinkle with bacon and cilantro.

Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Soup my way
It turned out delicious!  So delicious I thought I'd share it with you.  And if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you, use your favorite brand of Butternut Squash Soup, just be careful of the ingredients!

Feel like making your own Butternut Squash Soup?  Click here for a yummy recipe from Epicurious.  I personally leave out the brown sugar.  If you want to add some sweetness to this soup, add a little orange juice.  To tart it up, add a chopped green apple to the pan while sauteing the onion.

It will be about another month before I have that "I want nothing to do with the kitchen" feeling.  I'm excited to discover another "convenience" that I can easily make my own. 

In what ways to you let "convenience" into your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment