Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Spinach Mushroom Pesto Quiche

I've never been an appetizer making kind of gal.  Putting together tiny little bites all decorated fancy has never been part of my skill set.  The idea of appetizers makes my mind go blank and a question mark appears on my wrinkled forehead.  I'd rather make meals.  Meals I can sink my teeth into.  Meals that fill my tummy.  Appetizers baffle me.

I made the intention back in November that I was going to allow more fun into my life and within a few week's time, I was invited to 3 partys.  Two of which require of all things ~ appetizers.  I pulled out my Martha Stewart cookbooks, knowing the Queen of All Things Domestic would surely have crowd pleasing appetizers, but the assembling of these dainty treats certainly did nothing to please me!

Then I remembered a quiche that I love, a quiche I haven't made in quite a long time!  Certainly I could turn that quiche into appetizer bites by cutting it into little pieces!  Appetizer problem solved!  This recipe comes from the Joshua Grindle Inn in Mendocino CA. 

Spinach Mushroom Pesto Quiche
  • 1/2 cup polenta
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 + 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp fresh pesto
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup mushroom, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (no oil) chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 5 oz spinach, steamed and drained
  • 1 Roma tomato, sliced thinly (optional and if in season)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly oil the bottom of one pie plate.
  2. In a small saucepan, mix water and polenta and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and stir until thickened.  Add 1/4 cup Parmesan and salt and mix well.
  3. Pour into pie plate covering bottom.  Let cool until solidified, about 5-10 minutes.
  4. Spread pesto over polenta and sprinkle with mozzarella. 
  5. Saute mushrooms, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes.
  6. Beat together eggs, milk and cottage cheese.  Add sauteed mushroom mixture and spinach.  Mix well and pour into pie plate.  Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan and decorate with tomato slices.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes until center is set.

Spinach Mushroom Pesto Quiche


Yummo!  The perfect quiche for any occasion!

I usually am a dairy free girl, except for raw milk and my homemade raw kefir, but this quiche is so delicious that I occasionally allow myself a dairy splurge.  90/10 is my motto.  If 90% of the time I am eating good healthy food, that 10% won't do me in, hopefully! 

Happy New Year everyone, I wish you the best of health this coming new year and may your meals be delicious, healthy and full of love!

1 comment: